January 20, 2020
© 2017-2022 IABLE, Inc.
General Breastfeeding Medicine Topics Infant-Specific Breastfeeding Topics
Infants with thrush are found to have white patches of yeast overgrowth on the buccal and/or lip mucosal surfaces, tongue, and throat. A white tongue by itself with no mucosal lesions is not typically thrush. Mothers often notice that the infant latch becomes more shallow as a response to oral discomfort. Treatment of oral thrush may include oral nystatin suspension 4 times a day for 10-14 days, or oral fluconazole for 7-10 days. If the mother has no symptoms of nipple discomfort, she does not require treatment.
- Lacovou M, Craig SS, Yelland GW, Barrett JS et al Randomised clinical trial: reducing the intake of dietary FODMAPs of breastfeeding mothers is associated with a greater improvement of the symptoms of infantile colic than for a typical diet Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2018; 1-13
- Sung V, D’Amico F, Cabana MD, Chau K, Koren G et al Lactobacillus reuteri to Treat Infant Colic: A Meta-analysis Pediatrics 2018;141 (1)
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Protocol Committee. ABM Clinical Protocol #24 Allergic Proctocolitis in the Exclusively Breastfed Infant. Breastfeeding Med 6(6) 2011
- McKechnie AC, Eglash A. Nipple Shields: A Review of the Literature Breastfeeding Med 5(6) 2010 p, 309-314
- Stuebe AM, Meltzer-Brody S, Pearson B, Pedersen C Grewen K. Maternal Neuroendocrine Serium Levels in Exclusively Breastfeeding Mothers Breastfeeding Med 10(4) 2015 p. 197-202
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Baker RD, Greer FR, and The Committee on Nutrition Clinical Report Diagnosis and Prevention of Iron Deficiency and Iron-Deficiency Anemia in Infants and Young Children (0-3 years of age) Pediatrics 126(5) Nov 2010
- Baker T, Datta P, Rewers-Felkins K, Thompson H, Kallem RR, Hale TW. Transfer of Inhaled Cannabis Into Human Breast Milk. Obstet Gynecol. 2018
- Netting MJ, Allen KJ. Reconciling breastfeeding and early food introduction guidelines in the prevention and management of food allergy J Allergy Clin Immunol 2019; 144: 397-400